Friday, August 27, 2010

Sharon Creech is my new hero

This post is not necessarily cemetery-related, but, then again, just about everything is death-related if you think about it. So it is related in a way.

I'm a big fan of books on CD. I'm also a big fan of books in general, and you will rarely find me without one. But books on CD (now that I have my own car again--hubby and I shared one while he was unemployed) are wonderful things I enjoy immensely while in my car. Recent favorites include "Curse Workers: The White Cat" by Holly Black and "The Opposite of Invisible" by Liz Gallagher.

But my most favorite and treasured one is the one I just finished yesterday: "Walk Two Moons" by Sharon Creech. It is glorious and delicious.

My current favorite books to listen to (and read) are from the young adult section. Just because they are written for younger people doesn't mean they lack in quality. In fact, I think that they can have more depth and insight to them than the average book written for an adult. Teens and younger people are constantly trying to figure themselves out. They know they are always in flux--that they are changing as much as the world around them. And they are working their way through it. There's a lot of introspection going on.

We adults are more concerned with the day-to-day drudgery than a kid. How am I going to pay the bills? When am I going to get a job? What are we going to do when the baby comes? What groceries do I need to buy? Are we out of toilet paper? Did I leave the stove on?

Kids, though, are thinking: Does he like me? Why did my best friend stop talking to me? Am I too ugly? Am I smart? Am I stupid? Will I get asked to the dance? Will she notice me? Does anybody notice me?

Yes, adults think of some of these things, too. But think back to when you were a kid. These things weighed on your mind like crazy. It wasn't about taking care of everyone else or providing for them (though there are kids who have those worries piled on them, too: Will mom ever get better? What if I have to choose between my parents? What will happen to me?).

This is one of the reasons why I like youth lit. Another is because there are a lot of cool ghost stories. Youth lit is all about the "what if" world. What if ghosts DO exist? What if vampires exist ... and I go to school with one and fall in love with one? What if I find out I'm a wizard?

Oh, joy and rapture! How fantastic is that!

I have read a lot of different genres of books. I dig non-fiction because I'm a life-learner. I dig Stephen King because he's my hero from way back. I like some chick lit ("Bridget Jones' Diary") and even some mysteries. Even some police detective mysteries, though I do veer away generally from descriptions like "a serial killer is on the loose, and Detective Holly Winters may be next on the list." I also stay away from descriptions including the word "grisly." I can handle some graphic stuff if it works with the story, but seriously. Grisly?

So the next time you're at the library or your favorite bookstore, check out the young adult section. Really give the covers a look. You'll probably find something great. Then go to the "C" section and pick up Creech's "Walk Two Moons." You won't regret it.

Huzza! Huzza!

Wishing you inspiration and love,

Minda
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

doudoune canada goose, moncler, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, coach outlet, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, juicy couture outlet, swarovski crystal, moncler, pandora charms, moncler, pandora charms, replica watches, pandora jewelry, marc jacobs, moncler, canada goose, links of london, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, canada goose, pandora jewelry, hollister, sac louis vuitton pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, canada goose outlet, ugg boots uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler outlet, bottes ugg, supra shoes, moncler, canada goose, canada goose, moncler, moncler, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, thomas sabo

Unknown said...

converse outlet, longchamp, north face outlet, beats by dre, north face outlet, vans shoes, hollister, new balance, oakley, hollister, vans, mcm handbags, mont blanc, lululemon, timberland boots, instyler, ferragamo shoes, asics running shoes, herve leger, bottega veneta, hollister, gucci, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, wedding dresses, celine handbags, soccer shoes, reebok shoes, lancel, nfl jerseys, nike roshe, birkin bag, p90x workout, insanity workout, ray ban, jimmy choo shoes, mac cosmetics, ralph lauren, babyliss, montre pas cher, converse, karen millen, chi flat iron, nike air max, valentino shoes, ghd, baseball bats, toms shoes, louboutin, soccer jerseys

Unknown said...

true religion jeans, michael kors, ray ban pas cher, mulberry, michael kors outlet, michael kors, true religion jeans, hogan, new balance pas cher, nike blazer, burberry outlet online, oakley pas cher, north face, true religion outlet, nike air max, nike free run uk, tn pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, hollister pas cher, burberry, michael kors, nike roshe, ray ban uk, michael kors outlet, sac guess, vanessa bruno, nike air max, michael kors outlet, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, lululemon, michael kors, vans pas cher, nike huarache, hermes, ralph lauren uk, abercrombie and fitch, air force, lacoste pas cher, coach purses, hollister, coach outlet, timberland, converse pas cher, north face, nike air max, nike trainers, ugg boots